Wednesday, February 29, 2012

At 9pm every night my internet stops loading pages and I get an SSL certificate error?

For the past 5 days my laptop has been doing this every night starting 9pm, and doesn't start working properly again until the following morning. I have system restored my laptop to factory condition yet it's still happening. I rang my internet provider (BT) but they were of no help as they said it's a problem with my laptop, despite me system restoring it.



The internet remains on, but pages take too long to load and some pages e.g. Twitter.com, don't load at all and give me a security message regarding an 'SSL certificate error', it doesn't let me 'proceed to the website' either.



What's happened? :(At 9pm every night my internet stops loading pages and I get an SSL certificate error?
Certificate error issue:
Most common problem fix;
Right click tray time%26gt; "Adjust..."%26gt; Update.
While here, tick 'Automatic synchronize...'

Another situation:
"On board" browser certificates not current.
Vista/Win7: Go to your "Windows update" in IE8^

For XP: IE8%26gt; Security %26gt; Windows Update.
When @ Microsoft Updates, click the 'Custom' button, not the 'Express'.
This will give you hardware %26amp; software updates specific to your unit.
Includes specific drivers %26amp; "Root Certificates".
["Express" and "Automatic Updates" only gives Windows operating system updates]

About the page loads:
Possible malware.
Try "MalwareBytes" to start cleaning up your system:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
(free version has no "real-time" shield)

Internet Explorer is rubbish.
Get Firefox as your default browser %26amp; use it for everyday tasks.
The following tips help, but methods ("vectors") are dynamic, and users must stay abreast of daily threats.
FIREFOX: Tools%26gt; Options%26gt; Privacy%26gt; top drop menu set to "Firefox will use custom settings..."%26gt; Check 'Accept Cookies from sites'
鈻篣n-Check 'Accept 3rd Party cookies'.

A good collection of effective add-on's (Official Mozilla) is here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/collections/d鈥?/a>
AdBlock Plus (with 'subscription' added) %26amp; "Better Privacy" also help defray rubbish.
鈻衡柡 At minimum, get the #1 item for malware prevention: "NoScript", which constrains automagically fetching %26amp; deployment of potentially tainted assets.
[Bookmark and refer to this page for how it works, and how to use it...very straight forward; http://noscript.net/features#contentbloc鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment